Best Solar Attic Fans: Comprehensive Buying Guide Plus Reviews 2017
If you want a cool and airy home during the sweltering summer, you cannot do without an attic fan. Solar attic fans go a long way to minimising the heat and moisture build up in your attic and upstairs.
You can save on costs and utility bills as the fans are solar powered and work to reduce the burden on your HVAC system. It is a one-time investment which does not require any electrical wiring or expert to install it. That means more savings!
Additionally, solar attic fans also help in proper air circulation in the room, which could lead to a healthier environment inside your home – benefiting you in the longer run.
It’s powered by the solar energy, and can pull out the hot air and moisture in your room easily – which doesn’t just translate to a cooler temperature (which can be by as much as 40 F) but an extended roof life as well, since your roof isn’t able to withstand higher temperatures for long. These fans work with your existing vents so you don’t have to worry about any new installations.
Don’t worry, it’s not as difficult to set up a solar attic fan too – most of them are affordable and you could set it up on your own – which makes it worth a buy.
Now let us get to the best five solar attic fans you can get your hands on!
Top Rated Solar Attic Fan Reviews
So, what are the top solar attic fans that you can use? We have reviewed some of the best attic fans for you, so that you can check out for yourself which one suits you the best.
Solar Attic Fan Buying Tips
Looking to buy a solar attic fan? A lot depends on your budget but it isn’t the only factor that you should be looking at. What you need to remember is that you need a solar fan that fits right in your home, and for that everything matters from your home construction to the wattage in the solar attic fan.
You have to keep some considerations in mind when you shop for the perfect solar attic fan-
Attic fans can be bought at different wattages ranging from 10-15 watts to up to 36 watts. You need to buy a fan which will be ideal for the size of attic you have.
10-15 watts are enough for areas of up to 1,200-1,600 square feet, while fans of 25 watts can easily handle attics of up to 2300 square feet.
If you have a more spacious attic, buy multiple fans.
Nature of Roof
There are some models that cannot be installed on specific kind of roofs. For example, the rank one solar attic fan in our list is not suitable for mounting on flat roofs.
So you need to be aware of the design and build of your house to purchase the perfect fan. Sometimes you can fit them with additional accessories on incompatible roofs.
So, what are the solar attic fan features that you need to be looking for? Here is a look at what you need to look at when zeroing in on your fan choice.
- Fans with five aluminium blades are best for efficiency and savings. They need to rotate less to attain the desired speed and hence the results.
- Some models are equipped with solar panels that can be adjusted to certain degrees to get the maximum sun exposure.
- Birds or pests can enter the motor of the attic fan and damage it. That is why you must look for stainless steel or mesh protection for preventing such cases.
- It is better to avoid attic fans which are made of low quality plastic parts. They will not be able to withstand extreme weathers like hail or storm reducing the return on your investment. Heavy duty aluminium fans are the best when it comes to durability and longevity.
- In-built thermostats are great advantages which ensure that your fan is working only when required. So look for products which are equipped with one.
- Attic fans can start producing noise after they have been in use for some time. Look for models which have a guarantee of quiet motor backed by the company.
Not all solar attic fans carry the same warranty. Generally the brands come with separate warranties for the motor unit and the solar panel.
In our reviews you have seen warranties can range from anything from 1 year to lifetime. Make sure that you at least have 5 years warranty on the fan and in case of the solar panel, make it a minimum of 10 to 15 years.
Read the details carefully before you get a fan for yourself!
Hybrid Attic Fans
The advancement of technology has given us the hybrid attic fan which can be powered both by the sun and wind energy.
It becomes useful at night and on cloudy days when sunlight is not that strong. It can be suitable for places with high wind or heavy rainfall.
With the help of our solar attic fan reviews and buying guide, you are sure to pick up the best one for your home. It just needs a bit of research, knowing your home and deciding your budget before you spot the perfect one for you.
It is your chance to promote a greener earth while being energy efficient and enjoying great savings on utility bills at the same time.
Have a happy shopping and have a summer you love!