When you look for a new car you will notice that you are going to have a number of options when it comes to the motor. They will be available in a 4, 6, or 8 cylinders, and the higher cylinders are considered to be high performance.
Those that have really paid attention to the cars they were looking at may have also noticed that the price goes up with the higher motors. All of the fancy features also increase as you go with a higher engine. Believe it or not, you will see the same thing when it comes to a ceiling fan. This is because the motor is the most important part of the fan and it is what makes the fan run properly.
All About Ceiling Fans Motor
Determine the airflow
When you go with a fan that has a smaller motor you will not get the airflow that you are looking for. You may even notice that these fans will wobble and they make noise while they are running. Fans that are larger, and considered to be hi-performance, will be designed to work effectively without making noise. But, you should remember that these are going to cost more. So, you have to take the time to be able to balance quality along with your budget.
- MODERN / CLASSIC: The Belmar is a 5 blade bronze ceiling fan featuring modern lines and simplistic charm which flawlessly fits with almost any home decor.
- NO LIGHT CEILING FAN: Perfect for your outdoor areas or well lit indoor spaces, this no light ceiling fan provides comforting air circulation and modern style without the added bulk of a light kit.
- WET RATED: This outdoor ceiling fan is designed for durability against the harsh outdoor elements.
- WEATHER RESISTANT BLADES: Featuring durable, all weather resistant ABS plastic blades with wooden textures, these blades will stand up to the test of nature and will not bend.
- EASY CONTROL: Traditional pull chains are included for easy on/off functions or speed adjustments with a quick and simple pull of the chain.
- REVERSIBLE MOTOR: This quiet ceiling fan features a powerful, reversible motor with 3 speeds allowing adjustable air circulation for year round comfort.
- MEDIUM TO LARGE SIZED SPACES: Having a 52 inch ceiling fan bladespan, the Belmar is a perfect fit for medium to large sized rooms such as outdoor patios, workshops, breezeways, gazebos, pergolas and other outdoor spaces.
- 100% SATISFACTION: Limited Lifetime Manufacturer's Warranty
Know the few factors on choosing
Everyone knows that the motor in a ceiling fan is going to be hidden and you will not be able to see it before you make a purchase. However, there are a few things that you will be able to look for as you select a fan. Knowing what to look for in a ceiling fan can help you make an informed decision about the ceiling fan you are selecting. At least then you will know that your money will be well spent. Take a look at the following information found on our page of search results and on the page of product details.
- QUALITY DESIGN: Features a bronze finish and 5 ETL wet rated wicker blades. Tropical style ceiling fan design with wicker blades.
- QUICK INSTALLATION: Includes "Quick 2 Hang" technology, quickly attach fan blades to the motor housing with ease. Assembling your ceiling fan has never been simpler!
- QUIET REVERSIBLE MOTOR: Conveniently quiet, 4 speed, reversible motor that can be run in reverse in the winter to aid in rotating warm air in the room.
- MEDIUM TO LARGE SIZED SPACES: 52 inch blades, which are designed for medium to large sized rooms such as a bedroom, living room, dining room or common areas.
- 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEED: Limited Lifetime Manufacturer's Warranty.
Keep in mind that there are a lot of different motors out there when it comes to ceiling fans.
Not all of these are going to be covered on this chart. But, this information will help you as you try to make an informed decision. It is important to know that the rating that is given will be related to the motor that is inside of the fan. Any different components that are used to make up the ratings as well such as the different features and extras that come with the fan. The fans that are the best are going to have precision parts and they will run smoothly. On top of that, they are going to last forever.
- Tropical Ceiling Fan: high quality design featuring a Bronze finish. Traditional pull chains included for easy "on and off" adjustments but this Fan is also compatible with Honeywell Ceiling Fan remotes
- Hand-carved wooden, leaf blades: each blade is a custom, hand-carved, Artisan blades made from basswood; 12 degree blade Pitch
- Quiet reversible motor: conveniently quiet, 3 speed, reversible motor that can be run in reverse in the winter to aid in rotating the warm air in the room
- Tri-mount compatible: this Ceiling Fan can be conveniently mounted with a down rod (4" included), angled mount and close-mount
- Medium - large spaces: this Fan is perfect for rooms around 350-450 square feet such as living rooms, bedrooms, dining rooms or family rooms
Fan Motor Rating Chart
|*****||DC Motors||DC Motors Amazing Efficiency(Great Choice if Going Green): These motors are on the up and up. They are not going to use any electricity to produce a magnetic field. This is because they have their own electromagnets. Because of this, they will use 75% less electricity. You will see that these fans produce a lot of power and they will not wobble or make noise. Because they operate at a cooler temperature they will also keep your room cooler in the end. We think that these are the best motors and they get our highest ranking.||$400- $1000+|
|*****||K55 XLP Cast-Iron Some 212mm||Hi-Performance Motors: Those that purchase a fan with this motor will see that it is not going to make any noise. It is also possible to run these fans all day, every day, for years and they are not going to blow up. The fan has been produced with precision so it will not wobble either. Individuals looking for a new fan may also find that these are the most appealing and they look great. This is our top recommendation.||$300-1000+|
|****||212mm – 188mm||Very Good Performance: These fans produce great air and they do not make noise or wobble while they are running. This is the way to go if you have a smaller room. These get our second top recommendation.||$200-$500|
|****||172mm||Above Average: Fans like this are affordable and the air movement is acceptable. If you have a smaller room then this may be the way to go. The fan will have a slight wobble with minimal noise.||$150-$300|