A ceiling fan is a useful fixture to have in many locations around a property and can bring a cooling breeze to rooms that make them more comfortable places in which to spend time. It is inevitable over time that the blades will get dirty and this can affect the performance of a fan, as well as being unsightly and unhygienic. When it comes to how to clean a ceiling fan though, it is nor an overly difficult task and the following are some tips to assist.
How to Clean A Ceiling Fan Effectively By Yourself
Obviously the fan should not be spinning if you are planning to clean it and the first step is to make sure it is safely switched off. Wait until the fan has come to a complete stop before moving closer to remove any chance of sustaining an injury and to avoid the blades being damaged. Laying out an old sheet below the fan will help to catch any dirt that falls during cleaning and will protect carpets or another flooring.
A ceiling fan is likely to be out of reach for most people from the ground and this means finding a way of getting up to the blades. Avoid simply standing on a chair or box as these can be unstable and there is a danger it could lead to a fall. Instead, invest in a solid stepladder that is safer to stand on and if possible get someone to hold this to ensure it remains steady. An alternative is to opt for a high-reach cleaning kit. These are designed with longer handles to enable higher fixtures, such as ceiling fans, to be more easily reached and cleaned from the floor.
- Comfortable standing platform makes the Flip-N-Lite ideal for long-term usage
- Extra-wide rungs prevent foot fatigue
- Lightweight aluminum step ladder is easy to transport, set up and take down
- The Flip-N-Lite meets or exceeds all OSHA and ANSI standards and is Type IA rated to hold 300 lbs
- Stepladder Size- 6 feet. Max Reach-10 feet 3 inch.Top Width- 1 feet 1 inch. Storage Depth-4 inch
Recommended Ceiling Fan Cleaning Kit
- THE ULTIMATE HIGH-REACH EXTENSION POLE CLEANING KIT – includes a 6-24 foot DocaPole telescopic pole, window squeegee and window washer combo, cobweb duster, microfiber feather duster, and microfiber ceiling fan duster – the telescoping pole features an attachable hinge tip and provides 28-30 feet of reach when combined with the attachments
- WINDOW SQUEEGEE + WINDOW SCRUBBER COMBO – features a removable chenille microfiber window scrubber highly effective in removing window dirt and grime – the squeegee includes 3 interchangeable blade sizes (10”, 12” and 14”) and features a handle rotate-lock mechanism which allows for use at multiple angles depending on the shape and size of window panes
- MICROFIBER FEATHER DUSTER – Grip ‘N Clean Scratch-Free Microfiber Technology ensures effective dust and dirt removal while protecting your cleaning surfaces; clean bookshelves, bookcases, high ceiling fans, pianos, chandeliers and other light fixtures, vaulted ceilings, cathedral ceilings, rafters, high window sills and mantles, and more
- FLEX-AND-STAY MICROFIBER CHENILLE CEILING FAN DUSTER – the duster bends and holds the desired shape to maximize surface area contact with the dusting surface and maximize dust particle uptake – perfect for wrapping around high ceiling fan blades – the removable dusting cloth enables easy washing
- DOCAPOLE COBWEB DUSTER – leverages its dome shape and electrostatic action to penetrate corners and tight areas and attract and hold dust particles and cobwebs - Ideal for high-up ceilings, corners, crown molding, windows, blinds, cabinets, under counters, base boards, mantles, exterior corners and enclosures, window screens, screened-in porches, and more
Vacuum Cleaner Attachment
There are vacuum cleaner attachments that are specifically designed to fit over the blades of a fan to clean them. Some cleaners come supplied with these although they can also be bought separately. Anyone with ceiling fans should invest in one of these as they are a quick and useful way to start cleaning. They will pick up much of the loose dust on the top of fan blades and are a good first step in getting them spotless. Make sure the vacuum hose is long enough so that the appliance remains on the floor as the attachment is used on the blades.
Recommended Vacuum Cleaners
- Lift-Away: Lift Away the detachable pod and easily clean above-floor areas like stairs and furniture.
- Anti-Allergen Complete Seal Technology and a HEPA filter.
- Swivel steering, excellent control for maneuvering around furniture.
- Brushroll shutoff allows you to instantly switch from deep carpet cleaning to gentle bare floor cleaning.
- Large capacity, easy to empty dust cup extended cleaning without interruption.
- What's included: Shark Navigator upright vacuum, upholstery tool & crevice tool
Dirt that is sticking to the blades is unlikely to be picked up by vacuuming and it can take a little more elbow grease to remove this. The simplest option is to moisten a cloth with some water and use it to thoroughly wipe each blade so that dirt stuck on them is removed. Wipe away any moisture using a dry cloth and also use this to clean the motor housing. Finish by applying some dust-repelling spray to a clean cloth and use it to wipe the blades. This stops dust from being attracted for a while and can keep a fan cleaner for longer.
It is not difficult to learn how to clean a ceiling fan efficiently and the tips above will help with this. Take them on board to get your fans sparkling and hygienic so they can better do their job of keeping you cooler.
Recommended Ceiling Fan For Easy Cleaning
- Integrated matte opal glass light kit includes one 18-watt LED bulb for energy-efficient illumination. 44-in fan provides airflow up to 2,069-CFM, so it’s great for small rooms up to 100-sq ft 3 fan speeds allow you to maintain your ideal comfort level.
- INDUSTRIAL CEILING FAN: Trend-setting, industrial style. This modern fan flaunts warm rustic, dual-finish rough pine / chestnut blades, a bronze finish motor housing as well as Edison-style light bulbs.
- EDISON BULBS SPECIFICATIONS: Illuminate your space with three E26 / B10 LED bulbs included, clear glass, 25,000 hours lifespan, 2700k, 80 CRI, dimmable 100% to 20%. Lumens (450), Beam Angle (360).
- TRI-MOUNT COMPATIBLE: This fan boasts dynamic hanging abilities. This fan can be mounted with a downrod (standard), angled-mount (sloped) and flush-mount (4” downrod included with purchase).
- QUIET, REVERSIBLE MOTOR: Conveniently quiet, 3 speed - reversible motor. Can be run in the winter to aid in rotating warm air and cutting down on energy costs. You'll love this ceiling fan.
- REMOTE CONTROL INCLUDED: This fans includes 3-speed settings, 'Smart Sync' for quick setup, 'Walk Away Light Delay' and light dimmer. Controlling your ceiling fan has never been easier.
- MODERN CEILING FAN: The contemporary Dempsey fan comes with LED light covered by cased white glass that will keep home interior current and inspired; Measures 44 x 44 x 11.03 Inch
- MULTI-SPEED REVERSIBLE FAN MOTOR: Whisper wind motor delivers ultra-powerful airflow with quiet performance; Change the direction from downdraft mode during the summer to updraft mode during the winter
- LED LIGHT KIT: Energy-efficient dimmable LED light bulbs let you control the lighting and ambiance of the living space; The long lasting bulbs have longer lifespan than traditional bulbs
- UNIVERSAL HANDHELD REMOTE: Adjust the brightness of light and speed of the white ceiling fan with ease from anywhere in the room
- ROOM PLACEMENT: Indoor fan is designed to be used in rooms with low ceilings, the low-profile housing fits flush to the ceiling; Ideal fan for living room, lounge, bedroom, children's room and nursery
- Limited lifetime motor warranty is backed by the only company with over 126 years in the fan business. Airflow Efficiency: 69 cubic feet per minute per watt