Fans are a quick and effective way of cooling a room. They can also be used to help with ventilation and sometimes even drying. They come in lots of different designs from contemporary to traditional and utilize many different materials including natural ones such as bamboo or palm leaves. Fans can also be relatively cheap to run and much more economical than air conditioning units. Some fans are fixed in places like ceiling and window fans whilst others are portable like desk fans. Two very popular styles of portable fans are tower fans and stand fans, also commonly known as pedestal fans. The question is which one do you choose?
All fans have a certain wind to noise ratio. The more air they move the noisier they are.
Tower fans move less air than stand fans but are markedly quieter too. Indeed one of the unique selling points they claim is their quiet and smooth running ability. Whilst tower fans are generally quieter, some people report a high pitched whining noise, which can become unbearable over time.
>Quiet Tower Fan Recommend
- BLUETOOTH ENABLED – Control your tower fan using your smartphone and never worry about losing the fan remote again. Setting up and using the Bluetooth function on your fan is quick and easy. Simply download the Lasko Connect app from the App Store or Google Play to your mobile device and follow the step-by-step instructions.
- BEAT THE HEAT – If you live in the heat with no central air or window AC units do that a poor job of moving air around your whole house or apartment, this high-reaching stand fan with 3 speeds and optional oscillation provides maximum air delivery and full-room coverage to help you beat the heat.
- VERY QUIET – Fan produces a powerful breeze, but even on H, you can still hear the TV. Creates just the right amount of white noise for sleeping so you can get some rest. Easy to assemble and operate. Built-in carry handle makes it easy to move from bedroom to living room. Electric timer option automatically turns the fan off after a period of up to 7 hours of use.
- A REAL SPACE SAVER – Standing 42” tall with a small 13” x 13” footprint, the vertical design optimizes floor space letting you put the fan in places where large pedestal & box fans won’t fit. Sophisticated profile blends seamlessly into your home décor without sacrificing air circulation, comfort or style. Ideal for the dorm, kitchen, home office and RV.
- TRUSTED FOR GENERATIONS – Lasko has been making quality household products for over 100 years. Lasko fans are ETL Listed and come with our patented Blue Plug safety fuse technology, making them a prime choice for a cooling breeze when it’s hot and humid outdoors.
- Included Components: Fan Body, Fan Base
Stand fans on the other hand make a much lower-pitched sound, but they can be noisy especially when operating at full speed. If operating noise is a concern for you check the fan’s decibel rating online to decide what will be tolerable for you.
>Quiet Stand Fan Recommend
- ULTRA-QUIET PERFORMANCE - 35dB(A) whisper-quiet operation offers ultimate silence at each speed; ideal for home or office
- POWERFUL OSCILLATING AIRFLOW - Delivers exceptionally strong airflow (up to 2436 Cu. Ft./min); oscillates for broad coverage; 16"-diameter head and 5 effective blades
- 5 SPEED SETTINGS - 3 speed settings + 2 speeds (including Turbo Boost for extra power and Silent Night mode for especially soundless operation)
- ELECTRONIC CONTROL PANEL - Includes an 8-hour timer and energy-saving mode, which automatically decreases the airflow until the fan reaches its most energy-efficient setting.Do not use gasoline, thinners, solvents, ammonias or other chemicals for cleaning
- COMPACT REMOTE CONTROL - Sleek remote control with integrated on-board storage for added convenience
- NOTE: The remote control is located at the cardboard that is covering the fan cage connection to the motor; it may also be located at the bottom of that piece of cardboard or flipped the other way
Another point to consider is style. These days there is a fantastic range of fans available in lots of different styles.
Tower fans generally look sleek and modern and come in a myriad of different colors. They take up less room and maybe more suited to flats or bedsits where space is at a premium. A modern tower fan doesn’t necessarily need to be hidden away; it can become a part of a great contemporary design for a room.
>Best Modern Tower Fan
- 【Bladeless Safety & Easy-to-Clean】Breezewell cooling fan is a must for you who are looking for a bladeless cooling solution. It delivers a stream of smooth, therapeutic and high-velocity air, for personal cooling. When you are concerned how your children and lovely pets can enjoy a safe cooling, we provide you with the best answer. It is time to upgrade your fans into bladeless ones when bladed fans cost you a lot of time and energy to clean.
- 【Lower Than 42 dB Whisper Quiet Operation】Have you ever distracted by the noise of your fans? Have you ever worried about the getting your head chopped off by a wobbling celling fan? Bladed fans are so loud, depriving you of a quiet rest. Choose Breezewell bladeless tower fan today and unleash all your anxiety and torpor from the heat. No fast-spinning blades but with the silent motor, Breezewell keeps your fan running all day without knowing it is in your house.
- 【Oscillating & Space Saving】Bladed fans project constant choppy air. Breezewell oscillating fan will spread the air in a wide 45° radius, circulating the air around the room better. The powerful motor can distribute a ton of air quickly, increasing the efficiency of cooling, while taking up a minimal amount of space due to its slim design. The modern craft appearance blends well into your contemporary decoration no matter in your home or your office, making your room aesthetically pleasing.
- 【3 Adjustable Speeds & 3 Programmed Modes】No complicated manual program, enjoy your indoor summer breeze, indulging yourself in the jasmine summer night. Designed, programed and engineered for adaptability. Breezewell have developed this tower fan for you. You are so close to a widespread coolness. With automatic swing function and preprogramed modes, you are able to easily find appropriate breezes for different moods– normal, sleep or natural.
- Designed for Small Room - Our BREEZEWELL Tower Fan works best in a small room that is under 200 square feet. Note it is not an air conditioner and thus could not reach the level of coolness without A/C. Combining with the use of air conditioner, our tower fan could accelerate the speed of the air flow to provide the best relief and comfort in the hot summer. 15-Hour Timer and remote control unlock your freedom.
A stand fan will take up more room than a cooling tower fan, but can also be a great addition to a classic or vintage room. On a purely functional front, if you’re not concerned about design at all, a stand fan will move the maximum amount of air and will be the most economical to purchase.
>Best Functional Stand Fan
- Commercial 20 Inches oscillating pedestal fan designed to move large air volume with a maximum 5600 CFM and adjustable height. The high-efficiency motor means these fans keep you cooler for less.
- 20-Inch durable and sturdy 5-blade aluminum propeller with heavy-duty-steel housing design for balanced, quiet operation while optimizing airflow volume. Perfect fan for offices, factories, warehouses, auto shops, and more.
- An adjustable stand and oscillating function let you control the height and customize the airflow to make you more comfortable, no matter where you're working.
- OSHA compliant rust-resistant grille, Extra long 9 feet power cord, 3-speed heavy duty thermally protected 120-Volt, 60 Hz, PSC motor. Sealed motor housing protects the motor from workshop debris and all other dust - UL Listed.
- Tornado's new technology reduces the noise level by 40% making it one of the quietest fan on the market. Ideal for use in Industrial, Commercial, Residential, Greenhouse, Workshop, Patio and Basement. Customer service is our pleasure and we will take care of any issues with our products guaranteed. Feel free to email us any time for any concerns.
One important factor to consider when selecting any fan is the air in the room itself.
Fans are often used in rooms with little outside ventilation and they work by circulating the air. A stand fan will only ever circulate the existing air in the room. On the other hand, the better tower fans offer the ability to circulate the air and also to filter it too.
>Best Tower Fan For Osciallating
- SLIM OSCILLATING FAN for WIDE COOLING - Feel a refreshing breeze into any room with hOmeLabs Tower Fan. This sleek and slim 12 x 12 x 41.3 inches stand up fan is designed with wide oscillation function to distribute cool air across a wider area, providing targeted and efficient cooling to where you want it
- CUSTOMIZABLE AIR CIRCULATION SPEED - Personalize the cooling effect with 3 quiet speeds ranging from low, medium, or high as well as 3 selectable wind modes including natural, sleep, and oscillating modes to match your breeze needs and cooling options using the touch buttons
- EASY TO USE LED CONTROL PANEL - The user-friendly top-mounted control panel with bright LED light indicators features different speed settings, fan modes, turns the swing on or off, and a convenient 1, 2, 4, or 8-hour programmable automatic timer which gives you undisturbed sleep and saves energy automatically
- REMOTE CONTROL INCLUDED - This modern tower fan in premium quality plastic housing comes complete with a remote control to let you stay on your couch or bed while you control speed, wind mode, turn the unit on or off and set the timer up to 16 feet of range. Perfect all around the home with magnetic control storage at the top
- SPACE SAVING TOWER DESIGN - Standing 40 inches tall with a compact footprint, this lightweight fan is ideal for the kitchen, bedroom, living room, RV and home office. It comes with a built-in handle for easy portability plus a fused safety plug to prevent damage from over-voltage and power surges
The best ones can remove pollen, bacteria, and pet hairs. Some with graphite crystals can also remove odors, domestic fumes, and gases. Indeed, the very best can be set to automatic and switch themselves on when the air quality drops. For allergy sufferers, a tower fan could be an important addition to the home.
>Best Fan For Allergic Suffers
- 3 Quiet, Energy-Efficient Speeds - allows this free standing pedestal fan to provide a cooling breeze around the home or home office. With a portable design, this fan is ideal for the bedroom, living room, or near your desk. Low, medium, and high speed make this fan well suited around the whole house.
- Adjustable Height & Tilt-back Head - give you the ability to direct the cooling air right where you need it. The fan's stand or pedestal, adjusts up or down changing the fan's height from 38 to 54.5 inch while the tilt-back head lets you aim the air towards the floor, ceiling, or anywhere in between.
- Widespread Oscillation - describes the action of the fan head moving from side to side to blow air throughout the area. Oscillation allows for the fan to provide ventilation for a wide area. This makes the fan great for large rooms.
- Blue Plug Patented Safety Fuse Technology - this built-in safety feature places a fuse directly in the plug of the power cord. If the fuse detects a potentially hazardous electrical fault it will cut off electric current to the fan, preventing a potential safety hazard. Extension/Depth-2 inch. Backplate/Canopy Width-4.25 inch. Backplate/Canopy Length-24 inch. Backplate/Canopy Thickness-0.81 inch
- Simple No Tools Assembly - means you'll have your fan assembled in no time. Simply follow the included instructions to assemble the base mount to the extension pipe, fan blades and grill and you're done. This fan is both metal and plastic. The motor and other parts are metal, while other parts are plastic
Another question to consider is where the fan is going to be located. A fan should always be located as close as possible to a power source. The last thing you want is a cable running from your new stylish fan across the middle of the room.
When considering location you also need to think about the output of the fan. A stand fan is capable of moving larger amounts of air than a tower fan; therefore would be more suitable for use on an outdoor patio or in a large open plan setting.
>Best Compact Tower Fan
- 【Swing Style】: Effective and fast cooling with oscillation levels of up to 85 degrees, wide coverage! At the same time, its stylish and elegant appearance is very suitable for office and home.
- 【Meet Cooling Needs】This handy tower fan is equipped with an updated turbine technology with two adjustable fan speeds. This oscillating fan is amazingly portable. It comes along with a built-in handle allowing you to carry it easily.
- 【Quiet and Powerful Operation】: With its durable centrifugal blades, this tower fan operates quietly without sacrificing performance. It will not bother you and great for sleep and work.
- 【Lightweight and Space Saving】This oscillatory fan is designed in a way where you won’t have to think much about the space. It can fit into any narrow area of either your room or desk.
- 【Life Saver on Hot Summer】Save you from hot flashes. This summer will be more pleasant.
- 【Feel The Coolness】Features dual fans to maximize air movement and deliver strong airflow throughout the stuffy space in high summer. 3 speed options (high-medium-low) provide tailored cooling-off experience to beat the heat.
- 【110° Widespread Oscillation】A simple press on the “swing” button allows the tower fan to oscillate horizontally for 110 degrees, sweeping more areas in the room with smooth breeze for effective personal cooling.
- 【3 Auto-Off Timers】Comes with 3 timer options, including 2H, 4H, and 8H, to enable this desk fan to circulate muggy air at night for improved ventilation and lasting coolness at your bedside.
- 【Whisper-Quiet Cooling】Produces a right amount of white noises (less than 60db) even if the tower fan projects high-velocity airflow, bringing maximum comfort to you for a sound sleep.
- 【Energy-Efficient Choice】Equipped with a 16W high-performance motor to create a stream of powerful airflow, while using less energy than tower fans of other brands. For any questions or concerns about this desk fan, please feel free to contact with us.
Again check online for the fan’s CFM rating. CFM ratings are the cubic feet per minute created by the airflow of the fan. Basically it’s cooling ability, the higher the figure the more air the fan can move in a minute.
>Best Compact Cooling Fan
- 🍃【Cool, Humidify and Purify】------Our air cooler is equipped with honeycomb cooling pad and washable filter, this portable cooler can effectively turn hot dry air into cool moist air, refreshing air at the same time. Easy to operate, you can just fill cold water with ice cubes for cooling air. 【This product is not for sale in california】
- 🍃【User-friendly Design】------6.5L large-capacity water tank prevents you from adding water continuously. Automatic swing of the blade to achieve wide-angle air supply in horizontal and vertical directions. Improved control panel and remote control will bring easier and more convenient use.
- 🍃【3 Fan Speed】------Easy touch control 3-speed cooler fan, the evaporative cooler designed for personal space cooling. You can select the perfect wind power as you need. You can enjoy low speed when you are sleeping and medium speed in relaxing, as well as high speed in scorching summer.
- 🍃【Timing Function】------6.5-hour timing function makes the air cooler stop automatically after you set the performance time. In addition, this ultra-quiet evaporative cooler makes you enjoy a comfortable sleep all night with low-level noise. It is energy saving and perfect for using in home, office, dorm, etc.
- 🍃【Easy Rolling Casters】------With portable wheels and compact size design, this air cooler can be easily moved around. You can place it in your kitchen, dorm, office or anywhere you like. Moreover, you can also take it with you when outdoor in summer hot days.
Other sorts of fan available
Don’t forget before you buy there are other sorts of fans available too. If you’re looking to get fresh air into a room a window fan can be a great way of drawing in fresh cool air in the evening and can be run in reverse as an extractor.
A desk fan is a cheap way of circulating air without the expense of a large tower or stands fan and many small fan heaters can also be run without heat on a cold setting if you just need a small amount of ventilation.
If you’ve already decided on an upright fan the question is to decide whether style or function is more important and in all cases go and try both sorts before you buy.