Many Americans have finally gotten the message that ceiling fans are an excellent method of cooling off during the summer months in an efficient and economical way. In fact, adjusting your thermostat one degree can change your utility bill as much as two percent. What many people don’t realize, however, is that the advantages of ceiling fans don’t stop after the weather cools off. It’s all in how the fan turns, thanks to one little switch and an owner that knows when to change its directions. The article will show you how.
Fan Direction for Cool Summer Savings: Counterclockwise
In the summertime your ceiling fan should be set to rotate counterclockwise. This allows the blades to bring warmer air from the surrounding area and force them straight down.
The result of this is a cool wind chill effect on your skin that can make you up to eight degrees cooler without even touching a thermostat. Using a ceiling fan can also cause up to a 40 percent reduction in your air conditioning bills.
Even using a ceiling fan outdoors has the same effect, which means that you can stay cooler wherever you put it up. A ceiling fan outdoors also helps to keep incests at bay.
- CONTEMPORARY CEILING FAN: Modernize your space with a contemporary Honeywell ceiling fan! This small ceiling fan is perfect for kitchens, bedrooms, bathrooms and smaller spaces!
- QUIET, REVERSIBLE MOTOR: Conveniently quiet, 3 speed - reversible motor. Downdraft mode and updraft mode for optimal airflow. Control the temperature of your space with ease.
- DUAL-FINISH REVERSIBLE BLADES: The style is up to you! This ceiling fan comes with a different finish on each sides of the blades. Pick the finish that best fits your space!
- LED LIGHT SPECS: Two E26 / B10 LED bulbs (included with purchase). Dimmable up to 20%, 2700K, 80CRI, 450 lumens, 4.5 watts and housed in a light-frosted white globe light.
- FAN MEASUREMENTS: For standard mounting, the ceiling to bottom of light fixtures measures 13.66 inches. A 4” down rod is included with this dual-mount ceiling fan.
- EASY-TO-USE CONTROLS: Traditional pull chains included for easy "on and off" adjustments but this fan is also compatible with Honeywell ceiling fan remotes.
- MODERN CEILING FAN: The contemporary Dempsey fan comes with LED light covered by cased white glass that will keep home interior current and inspired; Measures 44 x 44 x 11.03 Inch
- MULTI-SPEED REVERSIBLE FAN MOTOR: Whisper Wind motor delivers ultra-powerful airflow with quiet performance; Change the direction from downdraft mode during the summer to updraft mode during the winter
- LED LIGHT KIT: Energy-efficient dimmable LED light bulbs let you control the lighting and ambiance of the living space; The long lasting bulbs have longer lifespan than traditional bulbs
- UNIVERSAL HANDHELD REMOTE: Adjust the brightness of light and speed of the brushed nickel ceiling fan with ease from anywhere in the room
- ROOM PLACEMENT: Indoor fan is designed to be used in rooms with low ceilings, the low-profile housing fits flush to the ceiling; Ideal fan for bedrooms, living room, kitchen, and lounge
Fan Direction for Warmer Winters: Clockwise
If by now you have enjoyed a cooler summer with the added comfort from a ceiling fan, you probably think that when the winter weather sets in it’s time to turn it off. Unfortunately, doing so might lead to a rude surprise. Simply stated, changing the direction of your fan’s spin can still have a beneficial effect in the cooler months of the year.
In the winter, you should adjust your ceiling fans to turn clockwise, thus bringing the air up to the middle of the fan, then forcing it down along the walls of the room. This makes the room feel warmer, allowing you to turn your thermostat down and reduce your heating bills by up to 15 percent.
It’s important to note that if you have high or “cathedral” ceilings this change will only have a very minor effect, so in these cases, it is best to keep your fans running counterclockwise, even in the winter.
- Contemporary Indoor 42-inch ceiling fan is ideal for small rooms up to 100 square feet (10 feet by 10 feet)
- 153-millimeter by 10-millimeter silicon steel motor with dual capacitor; three fan speeds (high/medium/low); reversible switch for year-round use
- Fan Performance on High SpeedAirflow: 2, 897 cfm; Energy Usage: 53 watts without light; Airflow Efficiency: 55 cfm per watt
- Includes 3/4-inch by 4-inch down rod, 78-inch lead wire, and two candelabra-base 40-watt G16-1/2 light bulbs
- Lifetime on motor; two-year on all other parts. Amp (High): 0. 44
- RUSTIC CEILING FAN: Elevate your space with a brand new ceiling fan! The Honeywell Bonterra boasts a crisp matte black body and 5 sleek dual-finish fan blades which immediately adds character to your favorite space
- VINTAGE EDISON LED LIGHT: Power to light up a room but also dimmable up to 20-100%! Ample, fully-integrated LED light fixture with 3 E26/B10 bulbs (included with purchase). This ceiling fan is 450 lumens, 4. 5 watts - 100 lumens per watt. The beam angle is 360% - more than capable of lighting up the spaces you gather in the most
- HANGING MEASUREMENTS: Standard installation (with the included 4" down rod) from top of ceiling to bottom of light fixture is 14. 50 inches. This fan can also be angle mounted (angle bracket sold separately).
- REMOTE CONTROL INCLUDED: Controlling your fan has never been easier! The 3 speed settings of your fan as well as the light output all from the convenience of an easy-to-use remote control (included). Also compatible with Google Home and Alex with a Bond Home (sold separately). Batteries included
- CONVENIENTLY QUIET: Reversible, 3 speed - powerful motor. The reverse air flow feature allows you to quickly change the direction of the fan, for a proper distribution of air. Hanging has never been easier! Enjoy the dynamic hanging capabilities of a multi-position ceiling fan
- The Honeywell Bonterra boasts a matte black finish and 5 sleek dual-finish fan blades
How to Change the Direction of Your Ceiling Fan
Many of today’s ceiling fans change direction with a simple touch of the remote control that runs it any way you wish, but if your fan does not have a remote, you will need to change the direction of the fan by using a switch that is usually located on the fan itself. The direction of some fans can be changed with a switch that is located on the wall control.
If not, the switch can also be located right above the lighting unit (if you have one) and below the fan itself. Simply flipping the switch will change the direction your fan runs. Be sure, however, that you adjust your thermostat accordingly to enjoy the full benefits of using your fan, regardless of the season. Following these instructions will not only keep you more comfortable but fatten your wallet as well.
- INDUSTRIAL CEILING FAN: Trend-setting, industrial style. This modern fan flaunts warm rustic, dual-finish rough pine / chestnut blades, a bronze finish motor housing as well as Edison-style light bulbs.
- EDISON BULBS SPECIFICATIONS: Illuminate your space with three E26 / B10 LED bulbs included, clear glass, 25,000 hours lifespan, 2700k, 80 CRI, dimmable 100% to 20%. Lumens (450), Beam Angle (360).
- TRI-MOUNT COMPATIBLE: This fan boasts dynamic hanging abilities. This fan can be mounted with a downrod (standard), angled-mount (sloped) and flush-mount (4” downrod included with purchase).
- QUIET, REVERSIBLE MOTOR: Conveniently quiet, 3 speed - reversible motor. Can be run in the winter to aid in rotating warm air and cutting down on energy costs. You'll love this ceiling fan!
- REMOTE CONTROL INCLUDED: This fans includes 3-speed settings, 'Smart Sync' for quick setup, 'Walk Away Light Delay' and light dimmer. Controlling your ceiling fan has never been easier.