If you’re worried about the summer heat, you know that you need a ceiling fan. It’s one of those multi-functional devices that can keep you cool and if you buy a ceiling fan with lighting, can also ensure that your surrounding is well lit.
While you can regulate it accordingly during the summers and winters, did you ever wonder how it all worked?
For instance, during the summertime, you would like your fan to rotate in the counterclockwise direction so that it will distribute that nice cool air through the house and create a soothing breeze.
Again, for the winters you would want it to operate in the clockwise direction because that will enforce the air to move-up and thus, all the hot air across the ceiling will be automatically forced down.
How Does the Ceiling Fan Speed Control Work?
The ceiling fan speed control requires some complex wiring for successful operation. The fan control allows it to rotate at various speeds and the working of the speed control largely depends on the type of technology used. It is integral to having proper wiring set up by a professional so as to be able to operate it without any hassle.
Many people think that it is okay to use a regular dimmer for fan speed control, but substantially it is not advised to do so.
The problem is that if you don’t get enough electricity, the fan won’t turn properly and will most probably get overheated- thus, resulting in a conflagration.
So, what you should ideally look for, in order to control the speed of your fan is a switch that is specifically designed for fan speed control.
The Two Types of Speed Controls
Coming to the type of speed controls – ideally, it is of two types i.e. wall control and unit control. The unit control usually has a prearranged setting of the usual ‘high, medium, low, and off’. So this way you can easily have the desired speed by operating the switch with the utmost ease.
- 【REQUIREMENT】The smart fan switch does not compatible with fans having built-in remote control system. Not use for exhaust fans and smart bulb. Max ceiling fan load of 1.5A (Offers 4 fan speeds control), max light load of 150W dimmable LED/CFL or 300W incandescent bulbs. 2.4G Wi-Fi only (NOT 5G); single-pole use only (NOT 3-way). Not work with multiple dimmers on a circuit.
- 【EASY INSTALLATION】Requires neutral wire and separate load wires for fan & light- please confirm that the wiring in your home is compatible before purchasing the smart switch (older homes may not have neutral wires). No Hub required. No canopy module required. FCC certified. If you encounter any problems or have questions to ask please contact us first.
- 【SMART BRIGHTNESS & FAN SPEED CONTROL】The smart light switch can adjust fan speed and dim your lights from anywhere with smartphone using the Smart Life App or Treatlife App. This 2In1 smart fan and light switch combo provides 4 fan speeds with smooth, flicker-free dimming（10%-100%）for increased comfort. Gentle On & Off Lighting for comfortable visual effect.
- 【TIME SCHEDULE】Create schedules to automatically turn the light and fan on/off with the preset brightness/speed at specific times; or set the light to turn on and off randomly when you are on vacation to trick potential intruders. More smart for Christmas decoration.
- 【HANDS-FREE VOICE CONTROL】Forget reaching up to the pull chains. Works with Alexa and Google Assistant to conveniently control the light and fan with one simple voice command. Perfect for times when you enter a dark room or your hands are full.
- 【Certified remote】Comply with UL1917 standard, CERTIFIED TO CSA STD. C22.2, FCC ID: 2AWK7-YUKIHALU, 1 year warranty, 30 days full-refund.
- 【Universal remote kit】Adds remote function to most of ceiling fan. It is a kit including remote and receiver. Compatible with Hunter and any other brand of AC fan, but not DC fan.
- 【Compact Size, Easy to install】Due to the small size receiver, it can be easily and fastly installed into any fan. Wall mount and wire nuts included.
- 【RF remote, powerful function】Control fan and light individually. Let the fan has 3 levels speed (Hi-Med-Low-off) and 4 timing off function (1 hour to 4 hours). Lights turned on and off, but not dimmable. The buzzer can be muted by remote.
- 【Excellent operating experience】Compare to others, using this kit, the lights turn on instantly without delay, the fan speeds changed quickly, and the control distance is far away.
- 【Beeping muted】The beep can be muted by remote. Pressing and holding the 'stop' button in remote to turn off the beep.
The Dimmer Switch
It comes in the wall control category and allows you to control the speed of the fan by switching between high and low beams. The modern dimmer switches might be saving more energy, but there is a high probability of such a switch to be on the fritz.
The capacitors also play a vital role in its functionality as after receiving all the power from the source, it supplies the motor with a pertinent amount of energy which resultantly allows the user to set the fan speed at any desired level between off to the maximum.
The working of a fan’s speed control also depends on the fact whether your fan has a capacitor or a solid-state control. If it comprises of the solid-state control, then it will control the motor in such a way that it won’t make any kind of buzzing noises, which is otherwise generated by the motor’s windings. Additionally, it also has the necessary variable speed control setting.
Changing the Settings
It is also possible to have a setting where the switch of the light and the fan is different. Ceiling fans give a versatile look to your room as you can have the desired kind of lighting and additionally, it also saves a good amount of energy. Because of its numerous advantages, everyone should have at least one ceiling fan in their house.
However, while choosing one, you should ensure that the quality of the motor is promising as there are several motors that are not constructed properly and if such a motor is installed then, unfortunately, the fan will create humming noises.
Also, keep an eye on the blade size of the fan that you are purchasing because it should preferably suit the size of the room where you will be fixing it.
How Do You Get the Best Experience?
For controlling the fan with utmost convenience, you can also buy a handheld remote to change the fan speed, and turn the light on and off from the comfort of your bed. Some remotes also have the ability to change the blade direction which makes your life a lot easier.
It also makes your room 7-10 degrees cooler and thus helps you save on your air conditioner bill! So, go ahead and make an informed purchase to save money and also to add a decorative centerpiece in your room.